Work Permit


One of the main goals of Canadian immigration is to welcome newcomers who will contribute to Canada's growing economy. There are several options to consider such as:

1. Federal Skilled Workers (FSW)

For applicants with skilled professional work experience.

Your work experience must be either skill Type O, skill Level A or B on the Canadian National Occupational Class (NOC) and must be paid, full time at least 30 hours per week or the equivalent hours part-time. You must prove your language English or French Test. English test is CLB 7, French is NCLC 7. The applicants will be selected to apply through the Express Entry System. The Express Entry system managed applications for Permanent Residence if you want to be considered:

- as a Federal Skilled Worker

- under the Federal Skilled Traded Program

- or under the Canadian Experience Class.

All you need is 67 points to qualify for this program. Your profession must also be a wanted profession in Canada.

What is the National Occupational Classification (NOC)?

A system to classify jobs (occupation). Jobs are grouped based on the type of: 

- job duties

- work a person does

The main job groups are:

- Skill Type O (zero): management jobs, such as restaurant managers, mine managers, shore captains ( fishing).

- Skill Level A: professional jobs that usually call for a degree from a university, such as doctors, dentists, architects, university professors... 

- Skill Level B: technical jobs and skilled trades that usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice such as chefs, plumbers, electricians, aircraft mechanic, carpenters, crane operator, heavy-duty equipment mechanics, iron workers, machinists, welders...   

- Skill Level C: intermediate jobs that usually call for high school and/or job-specific training, such as industrial butchers, long-haul truck drivers, food and beverage servers.

- Skill Level D: labour jobs that usually give-on the job training, such as fruit pickers, cleaning staff, oil field workers. 

2. Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

For applicants who already have Canadian work experience and want to become Permanent Resident.

- You must have at least 1 year of full time or equivalent skill work experience in Canada and plan to live outside the province Quebec. Your work experience must be skill Type O or skill Level A  B on the NOC and must be paid, full time at least 30 hours or the equivalent hours part time. This work experience have had in Canada. You must prove your English or French test. For NOC A English is CLB 7, French is NCLC 7 and for NOC B English is CLB 5, French is NCLC 5.

- If you are a graduate of a post-secondary institution in Canada and have studied as full time student for at least 2 academic years, you may be eligible to apply under the CEC but you still have the required work experience to be eligible to apply. You must have gotten this work experience after you graduated, not on a Student Visa.

- If you got work experience while on a post-graduation work permit or a similar work permit, it is considered valid.

- If you were in a co-op program (or another academic program with a similar work placement or internship), your co-op work experience Canada does not count towards this 1 year. It counts only after you graduate and part time work while you were a full time student does not count towards your eligible work experience.

3. Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

For applicants with experience in skilled manual work.

Your work experience must be in a trade that is part of skill Level B in NOC and you must have at least 2 years of full time work and your English or French must:

- English speaking and listening is CLB 5/ reading and writing is CLB 4

- French speaking and listening is NCLC 4/ reading and writing is NCLC 4

You must have an offer of full time employment for a total of at least one year or have a Certificate of qualification in your skilled trade issued by a province or territory.

 * Certificate of qualification are issued by provinces or territory. The governing bodies that issue such certificates will asses your training, trade experience and skills to decide if you are eligible to write the corresponding exam to be certified. Note that each province has their own procedure and regulatory bodies to issue Certificates of Qualification.

4. Quebec Skilled Worker (QSWP)

Developed by the Government of Quebec and the Canadian Federal Government, the QSWP enables highly educated and trained foreign nationals to immigrate to Quebec as skilled workers. The applicants who apply to the QSWP are evaluated according to a selection grid of factors, and score enough points are given a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) which they can then use to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency. To qualify for QSWP you must score at least 50 points, those who apply with a spouse or a common-law partner must score at least 59 points.

5. Quebec Experience Program (PEQ)

The Quebec Experience Program allows Quebec graduates and temporary foreign workers who hold a skilled job in Quebec to obtain a Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ). The application must have a legal status in Quebec if the application is submitted from within Quebec. They must intend to establish themselves in Quebec in order or work, and resided in Quebec during at least half of the duration of their studies. Also must possess a Quebec diploma admissible to the PEQ and must submit their application within 36 months after obtaining their diploma. You must have occupied a full time job at the managerial, professional or technical Type O or Level A or B. Finally the application must demonstrate a sufficient knowledge of French and meet financial requirements. 

After the application has obtained the CSQ, they can present an application for Permanent Residence. 

6. Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)

The PNP is given to semi or low-skilled workers who can contribute to the Canadian economy through their work. The worker are placed in different provinces of Canada where the demand for their work is higher.

Once the applicant is nominated by a province or territory, he/she will be given a nomination certificate that is to be submitted with their application to the federal government for their Canadian permanent residency. Nearly every province and territory has a provincial nominee program, and applicant to those programs must intend to live in the province or territory they apply to. 

Each provincial nominee program has different streams that applicant can apply under and they generally fall into the following 5 categories of stream:

- skilled worker

- semi-skilled worker

- business/investor

- international student graduated

- family/community connections.

Types of Canadian Work Permit

1. Open Work Permit: is a work permit that is not job-specific (no job offer or employment contract that allow you to work for any employer in Canada). Because it is not job-specific, you will not need the following when you apply for your work permit:

- a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada; or

- proof that an employer has submitted an offer of employment through the Employer Portal and paid the employer compliance fee

  * You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

- are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

- are a student who is no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)

- have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada

- applied for permanent residence in Canada

- are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence

- are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student

- are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program

- are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member

- are under an unenforceable removal order

- are a temporary resident permit holder

- are under an unenforceable removal order

- are a young worker participating in special programs

- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

- Spousal Sponsorship from Inside of Canada

- International Experience Canada (IEC)

- Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

- Spouse Accompanying International Student 

2. Employer-specific work permit

Allow you to work according to the conditions on your Work Permit:

- the name of the employer you can work for

- how long you can work 

- the location where you can work.