Study Permit


Do you know that Canada is known for its world class education systems and vast number of academic and vocational. After the study, the students will be able to get PR and citizenship to stay in Canada.

Study permits and Visa

The most important piece of paper you need before you arrive in Canada as an International student is a s study permit.

- You must apply for a study permit if you are coming to Canada for elementary or secondary school, language school, college or university studies that last longer than 6 months

- Before you can apply for a study permit, you need to have a letter of acceptance from a school, university or college in Canada.

- This means you need to find a school and receive an acceptance letter from a school, college or university in Canada.

How to get a study permit?

Before you apply for a study permit, you need:

- A letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution (DLI)

- A valid passport or travel document.

 * A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students. All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions. 

If you plan to attend a post-secondary school, such as college or university , make sure it is on the list. 

If you need to take certain courses before you are accepted into your program (conditional acceptance), you will be given a study permit for the duration of those courses. Once the college or university accepts you into your chosen program, you must apply to extend your study permit.

If you plan to attend a college or university in Quebec, current provincial rules state that international students can only attend a DLI chosen by the Quebec government of Canada to study in Quebec.

Work Visa during your studies and beyond

If you are attending a post-secondary program in Canada, and you want to work, you can. International students with a study permit may work part-time (less than 20 hour a week) without a work permit. 

If you want to work full-time or be part of a work placement while studying, you will need to apply for a work permit. Your spouse or common law partner can also apply for a work. Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

- have a valid study permit and

- are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:

    . a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or CEGEP in Quebec

    . a private college-level school in Quebec

    . a private college- level in Quebec

    a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree).

  * The open work permit will be valid for the same period of time as your study permit and most cases you must apply online to get or extend a work permit from inside Canada.

Extend a study permit

Your study permit allowed you to begin your studies in Canada. If you want to continue your education in Canada, you need to extend your study permit.

- You need a valid passport to get or extend a study permit. This means the expiry date on your passport must go beyond the time of any extended study permit.

- You must apply for an extension to your study permit at least 30 days before the current study permit expires.

After you graduate from your program of studies, you may be able to work temporarily or even live permanently in Canada. You will need a work permit called Post- Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

Post-Graduation Work Permit is a pillar of Canada's Immigration system, allowing Internationale students who graduated from colleges or universities in Canada to work for up to 3 years. This allows you to work for any Canadian employer in any industry without the requirement of a Canadian job offer at the time of applying. International students can only have one PGWP in their lifetime. 

  * To obtain a PGWP, you must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada. You must have graduated from an DLI and also meet all of the following criteria:

- you have completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.

- you have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the programs of study you have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application. Except for leave from studies or final academic session.

- you have received a transcript and an official letter from the DLI confirming that you have met the requirements to complete your program of study.

Once you receive confirmation, you must submit your official transcript and letter from your school or diploma/degree certificate  within the 180 days. However, if it is past 180 days and you still want to apply, you may change your status to visitor but it must be done within 90 days after your study permit expires or  you will have to leave Canada. It will normally takes up to 87 days if you have applied online.

  * If you plan on staying in Canada and your study permit expires before you apply for a PGWP, you should change your status to visitor.

  * You have up to 90 days after your study permit expires to restore your status or you will have to leave the country.

How long your PGWP is valid for?

What if you want to stay in Canada but are no longer studying? You will need to: 

- Apply for a work permit if you wish to stay in Canada to work

- Apply to change your status and stay in Canada as a visitor.

To stay in Canada after your studies are completed, you will need a visitor visa if you do not have a work permit.

Why choose study in Canada?

- World class education system

- Affordable International Education with low tuition and living cost

- Canada is ranked one of the best places to live in by Unites Nation and is peaceful to live in

- Canada is a bilingual country English and French.