Can I go back home while studying?

Yes, you can. If you leave Canada during your studies, you may need to show proof you are enrolled in your school when you return to Canada.

How long must I stay in Canada to keep my PR status?

You must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last 5 years.

Can I get my PR if I buy property in Canada?

You can not buy a property in Canada and get Residency and Citizenship. Canada has a higher standard for Investors wanting a permanent Residency Visa. You can not make your own investment or buy a company or start one in order to receive Canadian permanent residency as an Investor.

What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?

LMIA is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. It need to show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job and also show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job.

What is Express Entry?

Express Entry is a new online application system for economic immigration categories, such as the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Traded Program and Canadian Experience Class.

What is CLB and NCLC?

CLB: Canadian Language Benchmarks (for English).

NCLC: Niveaux de competence linguistique canadien (for French).

What is Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

eTA is a travel document for people from countries that do not need a visa. It is a fast authorization to enter Canada and allows you to board a flight or other means of traveling. It is used instead of the Canada Visitor Visa so it serve the same purpose. With the eTA you can enter Canada and visit family of friend, or just travel around. You are allowed to stay for a short period of time, usually 6 months of less. You are not allowed to try to stay permanently or apply for a Canadian citizenship. You are also not allowed to apply for any Canadian issued documents or claim Canadian benefits such as health benefit.

The eTA is a much faster version of the visa and it does not require as many documents as a visa does. So if you qualify for the eTA, you can not apply for a visa if you are using it for the purpose of traveling. You will need a visa if you want to work, study, or stay permanently in Canada. The countries can get a Canadian eTA are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bahamas, Bulgaria, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Chile, Croatia, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Japan, Singapore, Mexico, Italy, Norway, etc.

Do I need a Canadian visa if I have a United States visa?

Yes, most travelers need a visitor visa or an eTA to travel to, or transit through Canada.

I am travelling with my minor child without my spouse. What documents must I present?

You must present the following documents:

- A copy of the child's birth certificate

- A letter of authorization signed by the parent who is not traveling, containing their address and telephone number, in English or French if possible, and

- A photocopy of the non-accompanying parent's signed passport or national identity card.

If the parents are separated or divorced, and share custody of the child, the parent travelling with the child should carry copies of the legal custody documents.

If the parents are separated or divorced and one of them has sole custody of the child, the letter of authorization may be singed by that parent only and they should bring a copy of the custody papers.

I was invited to apply through Express Entry but my work permit expired. What should I do?

If you did not apply for a new work permit before your original one expired (in other words, maintain implied status), it may cause your score to drop. This could cause you to not be eligible any more. 

If your score has dropped below the minimum cut off for your round of invitation. If this happen and you submit your application anyway, we will refuse it.

If you declined, you will be put back in the pool. You should update your Express Entry profile to show the change in your work status. You may be able to restore your permit status if your status is restored and you still have an eligible Express Entry profile, you may be invited to again apply for permanent residence in the future.

Do I need a job offer to get into the Express Entry pool?

No, in most cases you don't need a job offer but you will need one if you:

- are eligible for either the Federal Skilled Worker Program or the Federal Skilled Program, and

- do not have have enough money to support yourself and your family in Canada. 

  * Who needs proof of funds: Federal Skilled Worker and Federal Skilled Program.

  * Who does not need proof of funds?

You don't need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family if:

- you're applying under the Canadian Experience Class or

- you're authorized to work in Canada and you have a valid job offer, even if you apply under the Federal Skilled Worker or Federal Skilled Trades Program.

Can I apply to extend a work permit from inside Canada?

Yes, if your work permit is still valid.

I am a Canadian citizen and my spouse is not. Can my spouse work in Canada?

It depends on the immigration status of your spouse. If your spouse is a permanent resident, they can work in Canada.

If your spouse is in Canada on a temporary resident (visitor visa), they have to apply for a work permit to be able to work. They can apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

- they have a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months of more, or

- they have applied for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada archived class, or

- they are eligible to apply for a work permit support by a LMIA- an authorization from Employment and Social Development Canada an employer needs to hire a foreign worker, or

- they are eligible to apply for a work permit based on an exemption from the LMIA process.